How do we measure the success of a Tennis Academy? Are we successful if we have 1 player who breaks into the ‘holy grail’ and is a world top 100 tennis player? What about the other 30? What about the coaches?
You may think I am now going to go on and give you the answers to the above questions. Unfortunately, I am not, but I do aim to share a few of STA’s ideas on what we are trying to achieve and how these questions continue to drive us forward on a daily basis. And as is tradition with my end of year blog, I will share our successes from 2013 as an Academy.
I would like to start by talking about our biggest success here at STA (in my opinion): our player and staff retention. I am proud to say that all staff members that were with us at Christmas 2012 are still with us.
The foundation of what we do at STA starts with consistency of staff and messages that are driven. And when we are in a position to have players in for a period of 2-3+ years, it means we are able to plan, progress, and develop our players with a longer term philosophy which can only be good for the players’ journey.
Consistency of players and staff plus consistency of training outdoors gives us a great springboard to produce an environment conducive to players performing to their best capabilitites. In 2013, out of a possible 480 tennis sessions (48 weeks x 5 days x 2 sessions/day) we have missed 8 sessions on court (note: these sessions happen in the classroom or gym, so are not missed) and we have only missed 2 sessions since April. We are blessed (touch wood!)
2013 Honour’s Board
- 6 professional tournaments won
- Junior Grand Slam Main Draw matches won
- Grand Slam Qualifying
- 3 World Ranked Players
- 6 Junior World Ranked Players
- 6 Tennis Europe Ranked Players
- 2 scholarships to U.S. College
- Becoming a ‘Babolat ‘International’ Academy
- 28 players from 11 different countries currently at STA
- Over 30 local events won… and many more finals made
- Support staff of 15
- Hundreds of friends made
- 1 new STA member born and another on the way
- 1 amazing marriage celebrated… and celebrated… and well celebrated!
- 1 football match played and comprehensively won!
- Over €1,500,000 generated in the Sotogrande economy
I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has played a part in STA throughout 2013 which includes parents, players and staff and wish you all the very best of luck in all areas of your life throughout 2014. Have a wonderful Christmas, be thankful for what we have and I hope to see you all in the not too distant future.
Remember, Control the Controllables
Director, SotoTennis Academy
Inspiring Excellence | Tennis Academy Spain